Thursday, November 18, 2010

Greater Works than Jesus

I'm really excited because I've had this great breakthrough in understanding regarding a verse that has haunted me ever since I first read it, or rather since the first time I've heard it used to encourage me to believe that I'm supposed to be able to do "great things", usually in the context of the definition of "great things" being miracles of healing and the such.

The verse is John 14:12 "Truly, truly I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father."

Now it's been explained to me that when Jesus said "...because I am going to the Father," he is talking about going into the Holy of holies in the heavenlies to sprinkle his blood and atone for our sins and meet the requirements that would allow the Holy Spirit to come.  He talks for quite awhile after this about the Helper coming.  So I was thinking it was worth consideration why Jesus said we could do "greater" works because he goes to the Father.  Greater how?  We'll be able to feed 50,000 instead of 5,000?  Cause fisherman to haul in a few thousand fish in their nets instead of a few hundred?  He raised a dead man who'd been dead four days.  We'll raise one that has been dead for four years?  Hmmm.... I think this sounds ridiculous.

I think Jesus was severely limited while he was here because he could feed with bread but not feed spirits yet.  He could open blind eyes but not blind minds' eyes.  He could teach amazing parables, but the men who were with him for three years still didn't get it.  But then the Holy Spirit came, and the dead were spiritually raised and his apostles officially became fishers of men.  Are those not greater works?  I suppose they might not seem so when we are preoccupied with the comfort of our body and our belly.

The weight is off!  I've been feeling guilty for too long that I did not have mountains uprooting themselves and throwing themselves into the sea.  The greater works are the sinners coming to repentance!  The dead being raised on a daily basis!

No comments: